A lot of us have problems with portion control. One major reason why is because we don’t all know what portion sizes of everything we eat!
I will be sharing with you today the 10 Secrets of Portion Control.
1. Before Eating, Divide The Plate- Divide it in half. Automatically fill one side with fruits or veggies, leaving the other half for equal portions of meat and a starch.
Photograph: Randy Mayor, Illustration: Brett Ryder
2. Pre-Portion Tempting Treats- The bigger the package, the more food you’ll pour out of it. When two groups were given half- or 1-pound bags of candy to eat while watching TV, those given the 1-pound bag ate nearly twice as much.
3. Head Off The Mindless Munch- Five minutes after eating at an Italian restaurant, 31 percent of people couldn’t remember how much bread they ate. If you’re worried you might do the same, have the bread removed from the table
4. Downsize The Dishes- If you’re one of the 54 percent of Americans who eat until their plates are clean, make sure those plates are modestly sized. Smaller plates equal smaller portions.
5. Limit Your Choices- The more options you have, the more you want to try. So limit your options, you’ll limit the amount you eat.
6. Use Your Power For Good- The person who chooses food, buys it, and prepares it wields power. If that’s you, take advantage of it. Make sure your family is eating healthier.
7. Avoid A See Food Diet- Office workers who kept candy in clear dishes on their desks dipped in for a sample 71 percent more often than those who kept their candy out of sight. So hide your candy, because necessarily you may not want to share your candy!
8. Turn Off The Television- The Vast Wasteland leads to vast waists. It’s not just the couch-sitting. TV distracts you from how much you’re eating, and the more you watch, the more you’re likely to eat. You are a mindless muncher when you are indulges into a tv show and you tend to eat more then usual.
9. Think Before You Drink- Drink more water, because with water you don’t need portion control.
10. Serve Good-For-You Foods Family-Style- Not all portion-control strategies are about eating less. You can have as much as you want of some foods. Make sure to place good foods in arms reach. Your family is more likely to what is closer to them.
So there you have it 10 easy steps you can take to controlling those portions!
To find more on these tips go to CookingLight.com